Monday, October 28, 2013

Interview: Andrea Johnson Beck

Author Interview of the Week

Meet Andrea Johnson Beck, author of the Deadly Series.

All Rights Reserved to Andrea Johnson Beck

What made you want to be an author?

I've been writing stories since I was able to spell my name. My dad recorded a lot of what I would talk about when I was little, quite interesting I would say. My vivid imagination has been passed onto my son. Before I turned 30, I wanted to write my first book. Before that, I had poems and short stories published but I never sat down and typed out a full manuscript. March, 2010 I started writing, Deadly Deception. I completed it right before my May 9th birthday and sadly, it sat in my computer for over a year. Life grabbed a hold of me and swept me away for awhile. Between homeschooling and relocating, Deadly Deception remained dormant until we moved to North Carolina where I met a fabulous editor who took on my book. November, 2012 I made the decision to self-publish and I was absolutely speechless at the amazing reviews people gave, Deadly Deception. I love that I can transport someone into a different life just for a little while. They can leave reality for a few hours. That's why I write. 

Who has inspired you the most?

My son, Logan, hands down. He has been through a lot in his twelve years on this earth. Logan fought for his life twice, the innocence and love that pours from his soul is beautiful and awe-inspiring. He has so many dreams and goals and I wanted to show him that no matter how young or old you are, you can achieve what ever you set your mind to. Him and I are actually working on a book together, he wants to share his story with the world from his POV and I am adding in parts when he was a baby and doesn't remember. I have gone through many boxes of tissue writing it with him. 

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

Oh my younger years *sigh*, what can I say? I wrote poetry in high school about boys and heartache. In disguise, did a little free verse at coffee shops. I do have a few of those poems on my blog which you can through my website. I had a few short stories about love, fantasy, and paranormal published. My writing is definitely evolved over the years.

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

I don't know if I would classify it as changed. It has become busier and I didn't think that was possible with a homeschooled teenager. The days seem to bleed together, I lose track of time because it goes by so quickly. Earlier in the year I had to adjust my writing schedule. It was consuming me and not in a good way. Logan's homeschool schedule was becoming muddled and I couldn't have that. His education will always come first, no matter what happens in my writing career. I don't have the time to write book after book after book. I wish I did but between homeschooling, field trips, keeping the house up, and having somewhat of a social life, my writing fits in between all of that. 

I have made and met some awesome new friends through this experience. These friendships will last a lifetime and we support one another through the crazy life that is being an author. The book bloggers that I have formed tight relationships with mean the world to me because they encourage me and truly want me to succeed.  

Congratulations on your release of the Deadly Series! What has been your favorite part of the series so far?

Thank you so much.

I love that my readers have immersed themselves into Anne, Adam, and Carter's dysfunctional lives. Their emotions toward the charters are passionate and that just warms my soul. Deadly Deception is my first book and for the reaction to be positive and supportive was amazing. 

Deadly Redemption is set to release July 17 and Deadly Revelation is set to release next year. What can readers expect? 

Recently, Montlake Romance picked up Deadly Deception and also, wanted Deadly Redemption, which hadn't been released yet. Their awesome idea of merging the two books into one novel meant no July 17th release for Deadly Redemption. I was disappointed and I know my readers are as well but, when the "new" Deadly Deception releases later this year, they will become entranced by the lethal triangle of Anne, Adam, and Carter. To have my first ever published book grab the attention of Montlake Romance left me speechless. It is an amazing opportunity and one that I couldn't turn away from. Anne would have thrown her glass of merlot at me. Deadly Deception, the full-length novel will release toward the end of 2012 but I will keep everyone updated on my website, facebook page, and twitter. 

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

Signing a book deal with Montlake Romance. It was a surreal moment when I received their email expressing interest in Deadly Deception. I thought maybe it was one of those spam emails but it wasn't. My hands were numb and shaking, I couldn't even respond to the email. My husband had to do it for me. I never thought in a million year that the first book I would put out there would now be under a publishing company. Unbelievable. I'm still on cloud 9.

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Right now I am working with my new fabulous editor on Deadly Deception. Deadly Revelation will release in 2014. Logan and I are working on his book but I don't have a date for that one. I have a couple of works-in-progress slowly building in my laptop. You'll have to stay tuned. 

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

Oh, where do I start? It's such an emotional roller coaster ride. When you receive those positive reviews, you are on top of the world. But, then you see those not so positive reviews and the emotion begin to churn in your gut. Questions fly around in your head, "Why didn't they like it? What am I doing?" We are are greatest critics and worst enemies. I've come to realize that you can't please everyone and the entire population will not like your book. The best advice I can give is stop looking at all those other authors and wondering why them? What are they doing that I'm not? Focus on you and your writing because that's what matters. Every author finds their niche and your book may not fit with their readers and that's all right. You will find your own cozy spot with your very own readers who adore you and your books. It's hard to put your soul out there for the world to see. It feels like the vultures are circling, wanting to pick it apart and there are those who enjoy tearing others down but keep moving forward. Keep opening your world up to people. And, remember, write for you. Write because it's what makes you happy. That and proving people wrong is pretty awesome, too. 


Thanks so much, Andrea for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets listed below.

Want to get your hands on a copy of Deadly Deception? Click below!

No comments:

Post a Comment