Monday, November 4, 2013

Interview: Candace Knoebel

Author Interview of the Week

Meet Candace Knoebel, author of the Born in Flames Trilogy.

All Rights Reserved to Candace Knoebel

What made you want to be an author?

I've always loved writing poetry and have always had a very active imagination. It was always in the back of my mind that I wanted to write, but the urge to actually sit down and do it came when I couldn't find anything good to read and from being bored. I felt restless in life...like I was on the wrong path. Words have always flowed onto paper easily for me, but normally in my journal which helps me sort through my problems. But when I started Born in Flames, the words flowed out as a story versus venting my personal frustrations. I can’t tell you why...the stars aligning? I just know that I am grateful for that night when the characters came to me and I had the weird idea to actually try and write them out.

Who has inspired you the most?

My inspiration is in my need to do better than I’ve done before. My dream is to write, and write a lot. I am the only one who can make that happen so I sit down and practice each night, trying to outdo what I’ve done before in my writing. It's what keeps me going.

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

I was pretty naive when I first started writing. I didn't really know what I was doing, just that I wanted to get what I was seeing in my head down on paper. The art and craft of writing came later on when I was closer to finishing and actually had a novel on my hands. That's when I started researching everything that is writing and how to be a good writer. I can tell you that the person I was then and the person I am now has drastically changed. My eyes have been opened. 

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

I quit my day job and now stay home with my little ones. That is a HUGE change. The knowledge I've gained about writing and marketing has vastly grown in the past year, as well as my goals with where I want my career in writing to go. I have two novels published within a year's timeframe, one of which is in paperback now! The third and last in the trilogy will also be published this year, and my next WIP is on its way. The pace at which things started and where they are going has been the biggest change. It took three years to get my first novel published and only nine months for the second. The third will be published in less than seven months and my fourth novel will be published in less than four months. =crazy!

You were selected as the 2012 Book of the Year at Turning Pages. What an honor! How has that added to your career?

It was a great honor! When I found out, I was freaking out. I totally didn't expect it. As far as helping me, since I am still a relatively unknown author, it has helped by giving my work validity. It's something to add to the hard work I put behind the words I slaved over for so long. 

What sparked the idea for the Born in Flames trilogy?

I've always been into fantasy and magic. Add dragons to the mix and I'm a goner. It was a natural progression to get to the idea of what I wanted to write about. I don't think there was any one thing that sparked-it just was. Aurora just sort of formed in my mind one night. I knew I wanted to write about a girl who could shift into a hybrid dragon in modern day times. Everything else, plot wise, just sort of clicked into place as I started writing. She showed me the way.

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

Hearing the feedback from the readers who have enjoyed the tale thus far. Nothing is more rewarding than when an author hears how much someone loved their story. As a writer, I think we all have our days where we feel like our work isn't good enough, or worry that no one will like what we have poured our heart and soul into. But when you get a good review and the reader gushes, it's like getting a revival breath. It puts back a little of the confidence you naturally take away from yourself. 

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Right now, I am working on a paranormal romance titled Starfall. It involves Hunters, Witches, Demons, and a girl who holds the magic of the stars. It will be a series. I am pretty excited about it and am hoping to have it out by the end of this year. 

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

Basically, don’t give up. If you continue writing, you will continue growing and becoming better at your craft. Don’t let a no from a publisher or agent sway you either. We have all been rejected and it doesn’t necessarily mean the quality of your work is poor. It could be bad taste on their part.


Thanks so much, Candace for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!


All Rights Reserved to Candace Knoebel

Book 1 in the Born in Flames trilogy
Red mirrored scales race up my arms as the haze of pain blurs my vision. My bones crack, breaking to realign. I scream. It is then that the realization of my unavoidable fate sinks in; I am of a dying race. I am dragon.

Aurora Megalos, orphaned and teetering on the edge of adulthood, thought finding her past would curb the sting of being an outcast. Having no memories of the time before she awoke on her foster mother’s doorstep, she yearns for the emptiness inside her to be filled. With her fellow orphaned best friend, Fenn, by her side, she has nothing to lose and everything to gain. But something powerful stirred within her that she couldn’t explain. Something wanted out.

In the dark of night, a crazed Seer, dubbed Mr.Creepy, erases everything she’s ever known with an impending prophecy. She now faces two paths. Return to her true home to protect a dying race against a growing evil, or stay hidden in the safety of our realm with a shot at a true love. With a vengeful Arch Enemy stopping at nothing to see her dead, she’s running out of time; a decision must be made. What would you choose?


Get your copy here!


All Rights Reserved to Candace Knoebel



Book 2 in the Born in Flames trilogy
The Stone of Immortality has always been kept under the watch of the Draconta. That is, until the betrayal of a Fate. Now everything is about to change.

Aurora Megalos accepted her destiny without blinking-even if it meant succumbing to her dragon side. Deemed the Progeny, she left the ordinary life she knew and has done everything in her power to learn the ways of her new realm and what it means to be part dragon. But when her mentor, Astral, suddenly disappears, she is forced to take the reins.

With war on the brink, she sets out on an epic journey to not only find her mentor, but to stop her Arch Enemy, Zordon, from obtaining the Stone of Immortality. But what she discovers about him along the way is far worse than she could’ve ever imagined. She will be tested and pushed to the limit. Lives will be lost, love will be questioned, and a battle will begin.


Get your copy here!
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
48fourteen

No comments:

Post a Comment