Monday, October 7, 2013

Interview: Amanda Holden

Author Interview of the Week

Meet Amanda Holden, children's book author of Azyea's Gifts.

Photo: Amanda Holden
What made you want to be an author?

It started when I was in the eighth grade. I read a lot of books then and one magical day, I had this amazing idea! I was going to write my very own story. Since then, I was very much involved in writing and aspiring to become an author became a dream of mine. After a few years of trying to get through high school and adult life, I left my dream on the shelf. I didn't have a clue on how to begin the process of becoming a published author anyway, so I stopped. 

After marriage and working a full time job...everything seemed black and white and being an artistic person, I needed color in my life! I needed to do  something creative and accomplish something, because time was not waiting around for me. So finally I began writing again. I just decided that life was too short to sit around and wonder and wait for something big to happen to me. It was time to sit down and work at it. 

With an aggressive attitude, I did my research on how to get my book published and that was when I decided I was going to become a published author no matter what. 

The risk of people not liking my work didn't phase me one bit. 

Who has inspired you the most?

My family and friends. I have my immediate family, then I have my extended family----in-laws and all. Each and every one of them have been a big support in my dream to become an author. They have dealt with me so graciously by reading my stories when I needed their opinions and encouragement. Your family and friends can inspire you the most! They are there when you succeed and there when you don't.

I am very grateful to have such awesome support!


Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

High School...I actually completed my first novel in high school. Thirteen chapters long and still sitting on the shelf. It was a Romantic Fiction and is very similar to Pride and Prejudice. Very P.G. 13 if I might add. 

It is so amazing to look back on the way I use to write and think. I am in the process of editing and revising it, but the book requires a lot of research for that certain genre and era. Email me if you are interested in reading it.

I now write children's books, because the process of writing for a younger audience is highly adventurous and more exciting.


How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

It hasn't changed drastically, but I will say that I am constantly in contact with other authors and social networking the lights out of my laptop! 


What made you want to write children's books?

The fact that children's books have such a big impact on a lot of people. I love children's books from Dr. Seuss books to books that are cute and sweet. Many children's books help kids in many ways and that is a big accomplishment. Illustrations are a big one for me as well. 

Note: A children's book should also have amazing art work, whether simple or frilly.


What inspired you to write Azyea's Gifts?

Mother's Day! I always feel inspiration when writing for someone out of love. Anyway, mother's day was approaching very quickly, so I decided that it was time for me to write, illustrate, publish and fast! So I did. I never felt so accomplished than I did then!

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

My best experience was receiving my very first book proof in the mail. It was a very emotional moment for me, because that's when I realized that I am truly capable of fulfilling my dreams if I just work hard at it!

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Wouldn't you like to know?! Recently my children's book, Captain Sam Sails Across the Sky, was accepted by an indie publisher. The book is magical with fun-filled adventure and absolutely delicious! It's about a little boy who goes on a journey through the night sky on a flying ship and that's all I am going to say for now. There's more to come in the near future!

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

If you have a story you want to share with the world, do it! There are so many opportunities out there! Research and gain as much knowledge as you can regarding publication. Dreams are accomplished by hard work!

Thanks so much, Amanda for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!

Azyea's Gifts can be purchased by clicking the link below!

Check out the book trailer on Youtube!

No comments:

Post a Comment