Monday, October 14, 2013

Interview: Nikki Worrell

Author Interview of the Week

Meet Nikki Worrell, author of The Enforcer.



What made you want to be an author?

I’m not honestly sure. I’ve always dabbled with story ideas and made some notes here and there, but never tried to fit them all together to make a cohesive story until The Enforcer. I work with Emmy (E.L. Montes – Disastrous & Cautious author), and she encouraged me to do it after I found out about her writing her first book. Without her pushing me, I probably wouldn’t have done it.

Who has inspired you the most?

My friend Emmy inspired me. She took a chance and convinced me to do the same. It’s not as easy as one might think to willingly put yourself out there. People can be downright nasty in their reviews, but luckily, most people are kind or are intelligent enough to give constructive criticism in bad reviews, which I find absolutely acceptable. I want to continue to make each book I write better.

My inspiration for The Enforcer was Jody Shelley. He is the enforcer for the Flyers. I was also inspired by three other enforcers. Derek Boogaard (age 28), Wade Belak (age 35) and Rick Rypien (age 27). All three of those enforcers died in 2011. Being an enforcer means you get multiple head injuries. How many times can you get punched in the head and not pay a price for it? They were all “found dead” in their apartments. Rypien had a history of depression and Boogaard had alcohol and narcotics in his system. That’s how athletes are treated. Just give them more and more pain killers. As a matter of fact, Boogaard’s family is current suing the NHL for their lack of attention given to these players who suffer from depression and other head injuries. It is such a serious issue and needs to be addressed in sports.

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

I’m still in my early days of writing. I have already learned so much after releasing my first book. Looking over The Enforcer, I can see how much better my writing was in the second half of the book. I hope to continue that into my next book, Goalie Interference. I’m shooting for a release date in October 2013.

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

Well, it really hasn’t. I am self published, so I work at my own pace. I certainly spend more of my down time at my computer now for sure. And having some extra fun money is definitely a plus.

What sparked your passion for hockey?

I had a friend in high school who loved hockey. She was my best friend and it was just natural that I got into it too. Then we went to our first Flyers Wives Carnival where you get to meet the players. I LOVED Craig Berube (yup, he was an enforcer too). I proudly wore my Berube jersey and put my hand on his thigh in our picture. This was in 1988. Want to know the very, very coolest part? He is now an assistant coach for my Flyers so I still get to see him! I get my picture taken with him every year now too.

What can readers expect from The Enforcer?

All Rights Reserved to Nikki Worrell
I think it’s more interesting to tell you what they can’t expect. If a reader is looking for another drama filled sex book, skip mine. The Enforcer is a love story. Don’t get me wrong, there are some steamy sex scenes and a villain, but I wanted to try and veer away from the weak woman and overbearing man (although Jody can be a tad bit possessive). There’s a little bit of hockey, a little bit of drama and a lot of love. I’d say it’s a good, easy beach read. And you don’t need to know hockey to enjoy it. I’ve even included a glossary of hockey terms.


What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

Oh my God. Definitely the readers. Some of them absolutely love it and they tell you so. Then you get a fabulous review and it just makes you smile. I know it sounds corny, but it’s a great feeling to be able to provide fun and entertainment for someone. It just makes me feel good.

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

I am currently writing Goalie Interference, which is about Vlad and Zoe’s relationship. They are the secondary characters from The Enforcer. I have also been asked if I was going to do a book about Dalton “Cage” Booker, the backup goalie. He’s a bit of an ass that you can’t help but love. We’ll see about that. Other than that, I’ve toyed around with the idea of writing a book about a man who rides across the country on his Harley trying to find himself. My husband and I both ride and he would love to do that. Not a typical bad boy biker book though, just everyday people who enjoy riding.

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

Don’t give up. Just keep writing. If you hate what you’ve written … well, that’s what the delete button is for. When you get writers block (and they will!) step away. If you think of something that you think might work, jot it down somewhere. You just never know what will loosen your mind up again and get the creative juices flowing! And do not, under any circumstances, dwell on the bad reviews. Seriously. Karen Marie Moning is my favorite author. She’s a trizzillionaire and she gets one star reviews. Take it with a grain of salt and write away!


Thanks so much, Nikki for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her Facebook listed below!


The Enforcer
All Rights Reserved to Nikki Worrell
Synopsis



Lacey Benoit is in need of a fresh start. Her best friend, Dr. Zoe Millis, has been begging her to make the move from Maine to California.  Taking a leap of faith, Lacey does just that.
Living in San Diego definitely has its perks, such as, sunshine and beaches.  The best part of moving to the west coast, however, is that Steven is still on the east coast.  Catching your almost husband having sex with one of your bridesmaids on your wedding day would make even the strongest woman jaded.  Therefore, Lacey has sworn off men for a while, especially men who travel a lot that have easy access to loose women.
When Lacey meets the new enforcer for the San Diego Scorpions, she thinks she might be in trouble.  But she is determined to fight her attraction to the sexy NHL hunk.  And she is successful ... for about a day.





All Rights Reserved to Nikki Worrell
Want to get your hands on The Enforcer? Click below!

No comments:

Post a Comment