Monday, November 25, 2013

Interview: Kathy Reinhart

Author Interview of the Week

This week's author interview is with Kathy Reinhart, author of Lily White Lies.

All Rights Reserved to Kathy Reinhart
Kathy Reinhart is the author of the award-winning LILY WHITE LIES, and her debut novel, MISSOURI IN A SUITCASE, which was written under the pen name, Nova Scott.

Before venturing into the world of mainstream fiction, Kathy wrote articles of interest for online enthusiast magazines, most notably on the subjects of horses and eventing.

A firm believer in paying it forward, she created and maintains the popular, INK DROP INTERVIEWS, where she features one-on-one question and answer sessions with Indie authors, spotlighting their work and thoughts on the subjects of writing and the publishing industry.

Kathy is currently working on the novels, FIGHT LIKE A GIRL, and THE RED STROKES, due out late 2013 and mid 2014, respectively. She is also in the early stages of a forthcoming novel, THE SALESMAN, a collaborative project based on a true story.

A few of Kathy's other interests include horses, cooking, traveling, antiquing, also kayaking and paddle boarding the Pennsylvania lakes and rivers.

"Write to the ends of your imagination"  ~Kathy Reinhart



What made you want to be an author?

I’m not sure what made me become a writer (in general), I always wrote. For years it was freelance, for magazines and then later I wrote for online enthusiast publications. It was after a serious riding accident that I was unable to do much else but lay around and read that I read an author I had previously liked, a lot, and thought, ‘This is terrible, I can do better’. That’s where my writing career was born.

Who has inspired you the most?

I am inspired in some way by almost every writer I’ve ever read. I can’t think of a book I’ve ever read that didn’t provide me with knowledge or some idea that I found useful. But my favorites are many of the southern writers, Fannie Flagg, Harper Lee, Flannery O’Connor, Eudora Welty, Jill McCorkle Horton Foote…. (I love John Berendt’s ‘Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, although he is not a southern writer)

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

As I said, my earlier days were spent writing mostly about horses and eventing, the kind of stuff that appealed to a much smaller audience. I enjoyed it, but you can only say so much on the subject before you’re repeating yourself!

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

My life hasn’t actually changed, but my work habits have. I take a more serious approach to my writing now that I have several novels out. I’ve come to realize that the level of dedication (for me) is much greater.

You were the winner of the 2009 Brighid's National Fiction Manuscript Contest. Congrats! What exactly was it and how has it helped shape your career?

The Brighid’s contest was a national manuscript contest open to everyone who had written a full-length novel. It was conducted in segments. First it called for the first three chapters of your work, then selected ‘X’ number of applicants to send their full manuscripts. The winner received a publishing contract and an advance.

It has helped shaped my career in a very unexpected way. I never saw a dime of my advance and I never received a nickel of any royalties earned. Once my book was published (June of 2010), my publisher disappeared. She will not reply to my emails, she does not take my calls, she has not been in contact with me at all. It took being cheated to make me realize that I only have myself to rely on. When I realized that she had no intention of paying me any of the money he owed me, I formatted my book for Kindle and put it into KDP (Amazon). Although sales have slowed down now, it’s been out a while, I enjoyed seeing many, many copies of my book sell through Amazon for Kindle. If my publisher had been honest and kept her end of the contract, I may not have pushed as hard as I have with the digital book.

What inspired you to write Lily White Lies?

I’m inspired to write in general, but I can’t say exactly where the idea for Lily White Lies came from. I see ideas in everything! I have more ideas for books than I could write in two lifetimes.

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

It’s the little things that are huge to me… The book club that sent me a package and in it was every members copy of Lily White Lies – they asked me to sign them and included a photo of each of them holding their copy during one of their club meetings. Fan mail… I certainly don’t receive it in J.K. Rowling volume, but I do get it and I enjoy reading each one. Things like that….

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Actually, I am working one two novels now, ‘Fight Like A Girl’ and ‘The Red Strokes’. ‘Fight’ will fall into the women’s fiction category, with a twist you won’t see coming! ‘Strokes’ encompasses fifty years and a very diverse set of characters. It brings the north and the south into sharp focus and is told through the eyes of a ‘least likely’ character. I can’t wait to finish writing them so that I can read them!

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

Keep at it. Don’t get discouraged if your break doesn’t come as quickly as you think it should, it rarely does. Never stop reading! Write, write, write. Don’t rush the process, and by that I mean don’t rush to publication, self or digital. If you do and it wasn’t ready, it won’t sell. You’ll become discouraged and that will begin a  vicious cycle that will kill your creative process.


Thanks so much, Kathy for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!


All Rights Reserved to Kathy Reinhart
Want to get your hands on a copy of Lily White Lies? Click below!

1 comment:

  1. Just came across this! I wasn't aware it had posted. Thanks again for having me.....

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete