Monday, August 26, 2013

Interview: Sophie Monroe

Author Interview

Meet Sophie Monroe, author of the Amazon and USA Today best selling Battlescars Series.










What made you want to be an author?

I’ve always loved to write, but never really thought of it as a “career” since publishing is such a 
cutthroat industry. One day about a year ago, I had this idea for a story and decided to put it on 
paper. I sent it to my best friend, who happens to be an avid reader. She loved it and told me to 
look into getting it out there for others to read. It was then that I discovered the world of selfpublishing. 

Who has inspired you the most?

I think it’s more of a what, than a who… I’m extremely inspired by music! I cannot write without 
my headphones on and the music going. I pretty much have music on every minute I’m awake. 
It’s cathartic. There’s a line in a song that I really like by The Heroes Lie called “Ring Around the Halo” and it says, “Believe in rock & roll because I swear it saved my soul.” I find that line 
especially true for me. I’m a rocker girl. Some of my current favorites are: Lansdowne, Age of 
Days (formally Daze), The Heroes Lie, Sick Puppies, and always Hinder and The Gaslight 
Anthem. 

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

I used to write a lot in school and always had a knack for coming up with creative ideas, but I 
stopped after college because of “grown up stuff.” When I released Second Chance Romance it was a disaster, there was formatting problems and editing issues, etc. I got eaten alive and 
almost gave up because of it. Luckily for me, I have really great family and friends that pushed 
me to keep going. 

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

Not too much. I’m still the same quirky, fun-loving, smartass that I was before. I do love that I 
have fans that I get to interact with. I love hearing what people are reading, listening to, watching, etc. I love hearing that something that I wrote is an escape for someone, or helped them through something. It’s beyond humbling.

Your series Battlescars is already an Amazon and USA Today best selling series. How 
does that make you feel?

MIND-BLOWN! Seriously, I never in a millions years could have expected that to happen. It was about a week after Afflicted was out and a fan posted the USA TODAY link on my page and when I saw it I was blown away! I had no idea, so it was a shock but really awesome at the same time. 

What can readers expect from Conflicted?

I think everyone is going to really enjoy Conflicted. I wrote it a little different from the first two.
Derek is such a fun and complex character. He’s kind of an asshole, but you can’t help but love 
him. He has a really damaged past and trust issues because of it. The feedback for what’s 
completed so far is awesome. I can’t wait to get it to you guys! 

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

I think just hearing from the fans and getting to interact with them! I personally respond to every 
single post, comment, email, etc. I think it’s important to be available and accessible to them. 
They’re the ones that give me the ability to do what I love! 

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Once Conflicted is done I have a couple other projects in the works. I’m not sure which one I’m 
going to put out first yet… There’s a new band being introduced into Conflicted called Guilty 
Tendencies, so they’ll definitely get their own books down the road. I’m dabbling into a possible Granny Jean novella and I have a couple other stories ready to go… so we’ll just have to see. 
(winks) 

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

It’s a hard industry to break into! It’s not just hit the publish button and watch the dollar signs. 
People can be critical and cruel, so you need to be prepared. No matter how seasoned you are, the first one star review on your “masterpiece” is going to sting. There are also no guarantees, you never know if a book is going to skyrocket or completely flop. I’m not saying don’t pursue it, just be prepared that it’s a lot harder than you imagine.


Thanks so much, Melanie for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!


Want to get your hands on Sophie's Battlescars series? Click below!

No comments:

Post a Comment