Monday, December 9, 2013

Interview: Melanie Corona

Author Interview

Meet Melanie Corona, author of The Settlers Series.

All Rights Reserved to Melanie Corona

What made you want to be an author?

I'm not sure really. I've just always written stuff. Poetry, songs, I kept a journal for years, and still do. I've written public speeches all my life and given them. I like to tell stories and have an active imagination. My kids would, and still do come to me and ask  me to "set the scene" for them. Every computer we've had I have a story started on there, and before that I used to type them out on a fancy type writer (I loved that thing, it even deleted!). So yeah I didn't really decide to be one, it just happened.

Who has inspired you the most?

My grandpa. He was an awesome story teller. I look back at when I was little, when I was excited to hear about the horses that lived across the road (they were plastic play horses in a park), or tales of the islands where we are from, and was so intrigued by it all. I regret rolling my eyes at him when I was a teenager when he started to tell me something about something, because now, as an adult, all I can do is remember that he was my biggest influence, and I'm grateful for him. 

Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing?

My earlier days of writing...hmm...I can't say that I really knew anymore back then about what I was doing than I do now! I loved poetry. I wrote it a lot, it was my outlet. But like I said, I've given a lot of speeches over the years, and for me to give those I have to write them first. :) 

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?

Well I haven't formally published yet, but since I first started to publish on wattpad, yes I suppose it has. I remember sitting at the computer, and I don't remember what story it was that I was writing but the thought went through my head that it was up to me. I could take this further, or I could stop. I decided to take it further and this is what I do now. I'm hoping to entertain people for a while yet. So my life has changed because I actually made up my mind about what I want to do :)

What inspired you to write The Settlers Series? 

The truth? 
1- I was sick of the reading the same thing in the genre I love
2- this story about a girl who had to live through things beyond her control kept playing on my mind, and it was growing and growing until I had a movie repeating itself in my head!
3- too many people laughed at me when I said I wanted to do this. If you met me you would know why. And for some it wasn't an outward laugh, it was in their eyes that I read they thought I wasn't capable of it, and this drove me to bring these characters to life.

What can readers expect with A Settlers Love?

Well firstly, I'm very impressed you have done your homework for this. Only my, shall I say...true readers? Know about the settler series, so thanks. 
This book will be about the change a person has to make when they think they aren't capable of it. A change that you thought you would never go through and tried to escape. And a love that settles so deeply in you, you know there is nothing else to live for, or strive to keep. :) 

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author?

Finishing the stories. Yes, sure most people say it was "the journey" but when I finish a story I feel content. And...and there is always an and, gaining readers, and getting to know them. Knowing they have connected with me because of my writing, well part really rocks!!

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?

Well, my plan is to finish Love and Freedom, the first book in the Capture My Heart series (btw all books in any of my series can be read on its own, as a stand alone). I want to finish The Blue Mountain Affair too, but I think I want to finish the Capture My heart Series. I've already done an out line for each story and have them named already
Love and Freedom (Avalyns story)
Freedom and Hope (Cassie's story)
Hope and Trust (Edans story)
Trust and Devotion (Hallies story)
All of course highlighting events which took place at the time it's set. And of course I will write the third book in the settler series. In November I want to write for NaNoWriMo again, and I have a story about the gold rush floating around in my head for that. I know that people want a second book to Desert Wondering, but I'm not sure yet. I originally wrote that one as a stand alone :)


What advice can you give to any upcoming authors?

Don't hesitate, do it. Learn about what your doing, and ask for advise. Be humble and teachable


Thanks so much, Melanie for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!


All Rights Reserved to Melanie Corona

Payton Martin’s world was simple, filled with the dreams of youth, and surrounded by the love of her family and friends. When someone closest to her is cruelly betrayed and unjustly sent away, life afterwards proves never to be the same for everyone involved, beginning a series of events beyond her control. Somehow, through the years that follow, Payton manages to deal with the heartache of loss and rejection, all while balancing her new situation, and becoming her own woman.

Finally settled into a life that she could only once imagine, Payton is content, especially when the promise of love is presented by someone she admires and trusts. Nothing ever goes to plan though. Once again she is faced with surviving circumstances, and choices others make on her behalf. This time, they ultimately take her across the ocean, to settle in a harsh new land.

No comments:

Post a Comment