Monday, December 23, 2013

Interview: BJ Harvey

Author Interview of the Week

This week's interview is with BJ Harvey, author of Lost in Distraction.

All Rights Reserved to BJ Harvey

What made you want to be an author?

Honestly, it has never been something I've aspired to. But Brax and Elle came into my mind just after Christmas and I started writing down their story. And it has developed from there. Now, I find myself writing down scenes in the weirdest of situations and now have ideas for six more books!


Who has inspired you the most? 

The indie community is inspiring in itself. But particularly Michelle Leighton and Michelle Valentine have each inspired me in different ways.


Can you tell us about some of your earlier days of writing? 
I wrote Lost in Distraction in 20 days which is crazy when I look back at it now. I was averaging 5000 words a day and I was stuck to my laptop for most of that time. It was scary, exhilarating and amazing all at the same time.

How has your life considerably changed since you've been published?
 I wouldn't say my life has changed, but I definitely feel that publishing my first novel was a great personal achievement. And I have loved all the messages I've gotten from readers who have loved the book and have been begging for the sequel. Its humbling that they have taken time out of their day to send me a message.

What inspired you to write Lost in Distraction? 
It started with a song, Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran, then a dark haired, blue eyed man who's eyes haunted a girl, how everything changed in the blink of an eye. And from there, the story of Brax and Elle was born.

You're an Indie author from New Zealand. That's amazing! What kind of difficulties do you encounter being an Indie author and how difficult is it to market your books in different countries? 
At first I found it a lonely place, but I've since found a couple of other authors and bloggers in NZ and have made some awesome friends in the Australian indie author community. Kate McCarthy is one of them who has become a close friend and critique partner.

What has been the best experience so far on your journey as an author? 
Seeing Lost in Distraction break into the top 200 in the Kindle Store, that totally blew my mind. Another has been finishing writing my 3rd book just yesterday, I can't believe I've written 3 novels in 7 months.

Can you give us some insight on any upcoming projects?
The sequel to Lost in Distraction, called Lost For You, is released on 23rd July and I've just finished writing the first book in my new erotic romance series called Temporary Bliss which is about a 24 year old woman who has sworn off relationships and having her life dictated by men who has a number of 'friends with benefits' arrangements until she meets the one man who can give her everything. I'm really excited about it because its very empowering writing a book about a woman who has issues with commitment for once 

What advice can you give to any upcoming authors? 
Stay true to yourself. Write what you want to write and what you would want to read. And remember, different is good!

Thanks so much, BJ for interviewing with us! Don't forget to follow her outlets below!


Want to get your hands on a copy of Lost in Distraction? Click below!

No comments:

Post a Comment